In 2001, Dr. Kapran qualified as the Chief of the 2nd Ophthalmology Clinic at the Prof. Dr. N. Reşat Belger Beyoğlu Eye Training and Research Hospital. From then on, the hospital rapidly became one of the most active medical centers in the field of vitreoretinal surgery in Turkey. Retinal detachment, macular surgery, diabetic retinopathy and eye trauma cases from all parts of Turkey were referred to the 2nd Ophthalmology Clinic of Beyoğlu Eye Training and Research Hospital for years. Furthermore, vitreoretinal surgery patients referred from abroad within the framework of the protocols signed by the Ministry of Health were treated. Moreover, Dr. Kapran provided medical retinal and vitreoretinal surgery training to many visiting foreign and local ophthalmologists at the 2nd Ophthalmology Clinic of the Beyoğlu Ophthalmic Training and Research Hospital between 2001-2011.
In 2005, Dr. Kapran started performing 25 Gauge micro-incision vitrectomy surgery in Turkey which was a newly developed surgical technique in the world then. Between 2005-2011, he focused on improving 25 Gauge micro-incision vitrectomy. He presented his work in this field including surgical techniques and tools he developed in national and international meetings and published them in scientific journals. A surgical instrument developed by Dr. Kapran after a study of 6 years was granted an international patent in 2014. “Kapran Silicone Oil Removal Cannula” manufactured by Medone company in Sarasota, USA under catalogue number 3100 is intended for removing the silicon oil after retinal operations.
Between 2005-2014, Dr. Kapran participated in multi-centered international studies on the treatment of age-related macular degeneration by using beta radiation, the treatment of diabetic retinopathy related macular edema and the treatment of retinal detachment. The outcomes of these studies were published in international refereed journals.
In 2009, Dr. Kapran received the March 14th Medicine Award of the Health Directorate of Istanbul as the trainer with the highest number of scientific publications in Istanbul.
In the video competitions held at the National Congresses of the Turkish Ophthalmology Society, Dr. Kapran won the first prize for best video in 2015, the second prize for best video in 2006-2010-2011 and the third prize for best video in 2005-2005-2006.
In 2012, Dr. Kapran started working at the Ophthalmology Clinic of Maltepe University and received his Full Professorship title.
Dr. Kapran is a member of The Turkish Ophthalmology Society, Turkish Medical Association, Turkic Republics Ophthalmology Society, American Academy of Ophthalmology, European Vitreoretinal Society (EVRS), Euretina and ESASO. In 2012, he became a member of the academic board of the European School for Advanced Studies in Ophthalmology (ESASO) and participated in trainings and retina module studies. At present, he is actively engaged in various committees of the Turkish Ophthalmology Society.
- Kurt RA, Sonmez B, Kapran Z.Neurotrophic Keratopathy after retinal detachment surgery combined with endolaser photocoagulation. RetinaCases Brief Rep. 2018 Oct 8. doi: 10.1097/ICB.0000000000000832. [Epub ahead of print]
- Avci R, Kapran Z, Ozdek Ş, Teke MY, Oz O, Guven D, Yilmaz S, Kaderli B, Durukan AH, Sobaci G, Unver YB, Akduman L, Kaynak S, Dogan I, Inan UU. Multicenter study of pars plana vitrectomy for optic disc pit maculopathy: MACPIT study. Eye (Lond). 2017 Sep;31(9):1266-1273
- Kapran Z, Ozkaya A, Erdogan G, Karakucuk Y, Gezginaslan TA, Perente I, Taskapili M. Wide-Field Landers Keratoprothesis in Various Combined Corneal and Vitreoretinal Problems: Twelve-Month Results. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2017 Mar 1;48(3):237-241
- Altan T, Ozbilen KT, Cetin T, Kapran Z. Results of Peripheral Vitrectomy Under Air in Rhegmatogenous Retinal Detachment. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2017 Jan 1;48(1):51-54.
- Helvacioglu F, Uyar OM, Sencan S, Tunc Z, Kapran Z. Helvacioglu reproducibility index: a new algorithm to evaluate the effects of misalignments on the measurements of retinal nerve fiber layer by spectral-domain OCT. Int J Ophthalmol. 2015 Oct 18;8(5):1008-12.
- Helvacioglu F, Kapran Z, Sencan S, Uyar M, Cam O. Optical coherence tomography of bilateral nanophthalmos with macular folds and high hyperopia. Case Rep Ophthalmol Med. 2014;2014:173853. doi: 10.1155/2014/173853. Epub 2014 Aug 12
- Adelman RA, Parnes AJ, Michalewska Z, Ducournau D;European Vitreo-Retinal Society (EVRS) Retinal Detachment Study Group. Clinical variables associated with failure of retinal detachment repair: the European vitreo-retinal society retinal detachment study report number 4. 2014 Sep;121(9):1715-9.
- Schmidt-Erfurth U, Lang GE, Holz FG, Schlingemann RO, Lanzetta P, Massin P, Gerstner O, Bouazza AS, Shen H, Osborne A, Mitchell P; RESTORE Extension Study Group.Three-year outcomes of individualized ranibizumab treatment in patients with diabetic macular edema: the RESTORE extension study. 2014 May;121(5):1045-53
- Helvacioglu F, Uyar OM, Sencan S, Tunc Z, Kapran Z. Helvacioglu reproducibility index: a new algorithm to evaluate the effects of misalignments on the measurements of retinal nerve fiber layer by spectral-domain OCT. Int J Ophthalmol. 2015 Oct 18;8(5):1008-12
- Ozdogan Erkul S, Kapran Z, Uyar OM. Quantitative analysis of subfoveal choroidal thickness using enhanced depth imaging optical coherence tomography in normal eyes. Int Ophthalmol. 2014 Feb;34(1):35-40
- Kapran Z, Ozkaya A, Uyar OM. Hemorrhagic age-related macular degeneration managed with vitrectomy, subretinal injection of tissue plasminogen activator, gas tamponade, and upright positioning. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2013 Sep-Oct;44(5):471-6.
- Lang GE, Berta A, Eldem BM, Simader C, Sharp D, Holz FG, Sutter F, Gerstner O, Mitchell P; RESTORE Extension Study Group. Two-year safety and efficacy of ranibizumab 0.5 mg in diabetic macular edema: interim analysis of the RESTORE extension study. 2013 Oct;120(10):2004-12
- Adelman RA, Parnes AJ, Sipperley JO, Ducournau D; European Vitreo-Retinal Society (EVRS) Retinal Detachment Study Group. Strategy for the management of complex retinal detachments: the European vitreo-retinal society retinal detachment study report 2. 2013 Sep;120(9):1809-13
- Adelman RA, Parnes AJ, Ducournau D; European Vitreo-Retinal Society (EVRS) Retinal Detachment Study Group.. Strategy for the management of uncomplicated retinal detachments: the European vitreo-retinal society retinal detachment study report 1. 2013 Sep;120(9):1804-8.
- Mitchell P, Bressler N, Tolley K, Gallagher M, Petrillo J, Ferreira A, Wood R, Bandello F; RESTORE Study Group. Patient-reported visual function outcomes improve after ranibizumab treatment in patients with vision impairment due to diabetic macular edema: randomized clinical trial. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013 Oct;131(10):1339-47
- Altan T, Acar N, Kapran Z, Unver YB, Ozdogan S. Outcome of photodynamic therapy in choroidal neovascularization due to pathologic myopia and related factors. Int Ophthalmol. 2012 Apr 32(2) : 119 – 25
- Acar N, Kapran Z, Altan T, Unver YB, Pasaoglu E. Pars plana vitrectomy with and without triamcinolone acetonide assistance in pseudophakic retinal detachment complicated with proliferative vitreoretinopathy. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2010 Jul;54(4):331-7
- Acar N, Kapran Z, Altan T, Kucuksumer Y, Unver YB, Polat E. Secondary iris claw intraocular lens implantation for the correction of aphakia after pars plana vitrectomy. Retina. 2010 Jan;30(1):131-9
- Altan, T., Acar, N., Kapran, Z., Unver ,YB., Yurttaser, S., Küçüksümer, Y. ve Eser, I. “ Acute-onset endophthalmitis after cataract surgery: success of initial therapy, visual outcomes, and related factors”, Retina. 2009 May;29(5):606-12
- Altan T, Kapran Z, Eser I, Acar N, Unver YB, Yurttaser S. Comparative outcomes of pars plana vitrectomy in acute postoperative endophthalmitis with 25-gauge and 20-gauge techniques. Jpn Ophthalmol. 2009 Sep;53(5):506
- Unver YB, Acar N, Kapran Z, Altan T. Results and prognostic factors in severely traumatized eyes with posterior segment involvement, Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Dergisi, 15(3): 271-76 2009.
- Unver, YB., Acar ,N., Kapran Z., ve Altan, T. “Visual predictive value of the ocular trauma score in children”, Br J Ophthalmol, 92(8):1122-4, 2009.
- Avila MP, Farah ME, Santos A, Kapran Z, Duprat JP, Woodward BW, Nau J. Twelve-month safety and visual acuity results from a feasibility study of intraocular, epiretinal radiation therapy for the treatment of subfoveal CNV secondary to AMD. Retina. 2009 Feb;29(2):157-69
- Kapran Z., Acar, N., Altan, T., Unver, YB., ve Yurtsever, S. “25-gauge Sutureless Vitrectomy with Oblique Sclerotomies for the Management of Retinal Detachment in Pseudophakic and Phakic Eyes”, Eur J Ophthalmol. 2009 Sep-Oct;19(5):853-60.
- Altan T, Acar N, Kapran Z, Unver YB, Ozdoğan S. Transconjunctival 25-gauge sutureless Vitrectomy and silicone oil injection in diabetic tractional retinal detachment. Retina. 2008; 28(9): 1201-1206,
- Eser I, Kapran Z, Altan T, Ozel Karataş M, Aydin D, Okaygun E, Yılmaz OF. Isolates and antibiotic sensitivity of eighty culture-proven endophthalmitiscases from Istanbul. Ophthalmologica. 2008; 222 (3):157-60.
- Kapran Z, Altan T, Acar N, Unver YB. Triamcinolone applicator cannula. Retina. 2008 May;28 (5): 770-1.
- Acar N, Kapran Z, Unver YB, Altan T, Ozdoğan S. Early postoperative hypotony after 25-gauge sutureless vitrectomy with straight incisions. Retina. 2008; 28(4):545-52.
- Kapran Z, Acar N, Unver YB, Altan T, Ocak B. Passive removal of silicone oil with a 25-sutureless system. Jpn J Opthalmol. 2008 Jan-Feb;52(1):63-6.
- Çakir M, Doğan M, Bayraktar Z, Bayraktar S, Acar N, Altan T, Kapran Z, Yilmaz OF. Efficacy of intravitreal triamcinolone for the treatment of macular edema secondary to branch retinal vein occlusion in eyes with or without grid laser photocoagulation. Retina. 2008 Mar;28 (3): 465-72.
- Unver Y.B, Acar N, Kapran Z, Altan T. Visual Predictive value of the ocular trauma score in children. Brıtısh Journal Of Ophthalmology. 2008 ;92:1122-1124
- Acar N, Kapran Z, Altan T, Unver YB, Yurttaser S, Kucuksumer Y . Primary 25-gauge sutureless vitrectomy with oblique sclerotomies in pseudophakic retınal detachment. Retina. 2008, 28(8): 1068-1074,
- Eser I, Kapran Z, Altan T, Eren H, Yilmaz OF. The use of blood culture bottles in endophthalmitis. Retina. 2007 Sep;27(7):971-3.
- Acar N, Kapran Z, Utine CA, Büyükbabani N. Pars plana vitrectomy revealed Toxocara canis organism. Int Ophthalmol. 2007 Aug;27 (4):277-80.
- Acar N, Unver YB, Altan T, Kapran Z. Acute endophthalmitis after 25-gauge sutureless vitrectomy. Int Ophthalmol. 2007 Dec 27 (6) :361 – 3
- Kapran Z, Acar N. Active removal of silicone oil with 25-gauge transconjunctival sutureless vitrectomy system. Retina. 2007 Oct;27(8):1133-
- Kapran Z, Acar N. Removal of silicone oil with 25-gauge transconjunctival sutureless vitrectomy system. Retina. 2007 Oct;27(8):1059-64
- Acar N, Kapran Z, Unver Y. B, Karakaya MM. Pars Plana Vitrectomy with adjunctive 5-fluorouracil and low-molecular weight heparin for complicated retinal detachment. Investigative Ophthalmology & Vısual Scıence, . 2005 46 : 3626.
- Uyar OM, Kapran Z, Akkan F, Cilsim S, Eltutar K Vitreoretinal surgery for retained lens fragments after phacoemulsification. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2003 Jan-Feb;13(1):69-73
- Kapran Z, Uyar OM, Bilgin BA, Kaya V, Cilsim S, Eltutar K Diode laser transscleral retinopexy in rhegmatogenous retinal detachment surgery.Eur J Ophthalmol. 2001 Oct -Dec;11(4):356-60.
- Kapran Z, Uyar OM, Kaya V, Eltutar K, Recurrences of retinal detachment after vitreoretinal surgery and surgical approach. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2001 Apr-Jun;11(2):166-70